Monday, May 18, 2009

Mirrors Edge

I finished Mirrors Edge the other day and I have to say that It must have been one of the shortest games I've ever played through. The game doesn't actually record how long you play for (which was no doubt omitted to help reduce consumer-rage at finishing a full price game in less time than it takes to rub one out) but I cant sit down with a game for longer than an hour or two before I got bored and I finished it in two rather short sittings.

That said it's the most fun I've had with a game in a while (and secretly I quite like short games because It means I can get through more of them) The focus of flight rather than fight is a well implemented and refreshing change with the (not so subtle) hint system reducing the frustrating trial and error that can plague games set outside of the normal first person comfort zone. The striking aesthetic is both its strongest asset and gives the game totally unique feel (its closest cousin would probably be portal) and I was constantly being surprised by the ultramodern architecture right up until the final level (which admittedly probably only takes 45 minutes). It is also one of the most colourful games I have played in a very long time and was a pleasant surprise. The game starts with its iconic bleached white buildings and electric blue sky and sharp red level furniture but it splashes interiors with limes, oranges and at one point vivid gold. I wish more games would explore the more bold extremities of the colour gamut as ME shows that these vivid colours don't neccesarily lie at odds with the quest of photo realism (in fact at times the game looks frighteningly true-to-life)

No comments: